Gutter guards are booming right now in the Home Improvement Industry and any homeowner should be considering having them installed.
But there are concerns: Do they really live up to the hype and is it the expense worth it? After all, these are tough times financially. Any responsible homeowner with a budget must weigh the advantages against the cost involved.
As a guide, following are five reasons why homeowners should install gutter guards:
- Safety is rightly #1 on the list. Cleaning gutters is a hazardous task. There are many accidents while cleaning gutters, whether by falling off a ladder or from an electric shock from exposed electrical wiring as well as potential damage to walls, fascia boards, roofs and yes even the gutters. So the risk is not only of injury but also to the home as well. It makes sense to install something which eliminates some of the many risks of owning and maintaining a home.
- Environmental issues; Leaves, twigs and other detritus which clog up the gutters provide a perfect environment for molds, spores and pests which can cause damage or evoke allergic responses in the occupants of an affected home or become invasive and start rotting the structure your home.
- Prevent damage; Clogged gutters and ice dams can cause extensive damage to your home and property from overflows. The extra weight of the water can even damage the gutters themselves, apart from damage to your foundations, and erosion of your property as well as damage to walls and roof timbers from water flowing under the eaves or penetrating the roof because of overflows. A Great gutter guard system will not only protect against these problems but will actually strengthen the gutters of your home, making them better able to withstand the worst our changeable weather can throw at them.
- Good financial decision; Gutter protection is affordable and saves money spent on having gutters cleaned as well as time. It pays for itself in terms of cutting costs and effort as well as preventing damage to your home. So financially gutter protection systems justify themselves and make sense.
- Improved home value; It is expected that gutter guards are going to become a standard elements of any home. It will become more difficult to sell a home lacking gutter guards, or a reduced price might be necessary. In such cases it has been found that purchasers deduct more than the cost of installing the gutter guards to compensate for the hassle factor.Very few home purchasers want to do work on a new home. New homeowners just want to move right in and enjoy! It make sense to install gutter guards now and enjoy the benefits yourself as long as you live in your home, rather than wait until need or want to sell your home.
Of course, all this sounds great, but will gutter guards really do the job? Well, there are some systems that fully justify all the hype and more; and others that fail miserably. And price doesn’t always reveal the difference, which really lies in the basic concept and design, not cost of manufacturing and installation. For someone who is not an expert, a good idea is to ask someone who has already installed a system. They will soon tell you if the system is up to the job or not. Wordofmouth is the most effective advertising for a reason; it is most realistic and trustworthy. Your friend is not usually going to lie to you; they will give you the truth good and bad. And Gutter protection has been around long enough for experience to have built up. Any gutter guard company encouraging prospective customers to speak with existing owners must have real confidence in their product.
Buying any home improvement requires careful thought, but something that has so many benefits must recommend itself. Why risk personal injury or property damage unnecessarily? Especially when the solution reduces homeowner hassles and risk of serious injury? The right gutter guards make great sense from all angles, and when something makes this much sense it is wise to get the benefits right away.